How to Ensure a Smooth Move
Visit MilitaryOneSource for information on your gaining installation and surrounding communities. The site also provides information about the programs, services, and maps for military installations worldwide. You can also subscribe to their newsletters. You will also have access to a variety of information, including:
- PlanMyMove, which gives you customized moving tools, such as timelines, calendars and checklists.
- Both MilitaryOneSource and PlanMyMove connect you to reliable sources of information about programs and services outside the gate. Visit your Fleet & Family Support Center for additional relocation information.
Children With Special Needs
Your child should be enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) if he or she has special needs. EFMP Liaisons can be reached by calling 775-426-3333. The number for EFMP Navy Headquarters is (866) 827-5672.
*This is a mandatory program for any family member who has special medical, educational, developmental, and/or emotional need or concern.
Organizations Devoted to the Military Family
- militaryinstallations.dod.mil: Are you a service provider looking for a program or service across all installations? Simply select the program or service and then choose any installation or enter any zip code. A downloadable directory for all installations will be available on the results page.
- DoDEA: The Department of Defense Educational Activity instructional program provides a comprehensive pre-kindergarten through 12th grade curriculum overseas and at select locations in the continental U.S.
- Military Youth on the Move: A website to help kids learn about new duty station
- SchoolQuest.org: Includes school finder based on state or military installation, blog, library, state education resources and “Ask Aunt Peggie”.
- Plan My Move: Installation specific information to help families PCS.
- Military Homefront: Department of Defense website for official Military Community and Family Policy (MC&FP) program information, policy and guidance designed to help troops and their families, leaders, and service providers.
- MCEC The Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)'s work is focused on ensuring quality educational opportunities for all military children affected by mobility, family separation, and transition. MCEC School Quest is a school finder.
- National Military Family Association: Founded 43 years ago, the National Military Family Association is the leading non-profit organization focusing on issues important to military families.
- Fleet & Family Support Programs: Information on installations in Navy Region Southwest and the many services provided for military families.
- MISA: Military Impacted Schools Association is a national organization of school superintendents. Our mission is to serve school districts with a high concentration of military children.
- Interstate Compact for Military Children has been signed by the state of California and addresses the key issues of Eligibility, Enrollment, Placement and Graduation encountered by military families. Roll out has taken place in some districts in Metro San Diego and is pending in others. Contact your School Liaison for more information.
Special Needs Resources
- SpecialEdConnection.com: Instantly locate proven strategies, helpful tools, special education law, federal statutes/regulations and more - with the online solution thousands of your colleagues already rely on. Username: navysand; password: navystaff
- Navy EFMP: Exceptional Family Member Program.
- TASK: Team of Advocates for Special Kids is a nonprofit charitable organization whose mission is to enable individuals with disabilities to reach their maximum potential by providing them, their families and the professionals who serve them with training, support, information, resources and referrals, and by providing community awareness programs.
- PACER: With over 30 different projects, the Parent Advocacy Coalition for Educational Rights provides individual assistance, workshops, publications, and other resources to help families make decisions about education and other services for their child or young adult with disabilities.
- LD On-line: The world's leading website on learning disabilities and ADHD, serving more than 200,000 parents, teachers, and other professionals each month.
- NICHCY: National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities serves the nation as a central source of information on disabilities in infants, toddlers, children, and youth.
- Military Homefront Special Needs/EFMP: This site includes all enrollment information, toolbox of resources, and worldwide directory.
- Tutor.com: for U.S. Military Families, funded by the U.S. Department of Defense and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance, is a free program that allows eligible college and grades K-12 students in U.S. military families to connect to a live tutor online at any time for one-to-one help with homework, studying, test prep, proofreading and more. The service is available at no charge to all grades K-12 students and service members-regardless of whether the service member is serving full-time or part-time-plus some adult dependents on active duty.
- National Parent Teacher Association: An organization dedicated to making a difference in the education, health, and safety of America’s children and youth.
- The Education Trust: Promotes high academic achievement for all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college.
- Guide to Online Schools: From K-12 to college, explore online learning modes, hear from experts, and read how Khan Academy and other free resources help students get ahead.
- Todaysmilitary.com: Provides overview of joining the military- resources for parents and educators.
Post Secondary Support
- CollegeBoard.org: Offers students free grade, activities and test score specific profiles and information on hundreds of colleges.
- StudentAid.ed.gov: Provides student financial assistance resources.
- GIBill.va.gov: VA website for Post 9/11 GI Bill, transferability and Yellow Ribbon.
- fastweb.com: Find schools and ways to pay on FastWEB.
- finaid.org: The smart student guide to financial aid.
Academy and ROTC
- defense.gov: Military Academy Links for West Point , Navy, AF, CG, Merchant Marine.
- todaysmilitary.com: ROTC links for Army, Navy and Air Force.
Military Scholarship Resources
- aid.military.com: Military scholarship search.
- deca.org/scholarships: DECA scholarships for military children.
- fra.org: Fleet Reserve Association.
- amra1973.org: American Military Retirees Association.
- vfw.org: Veterans of Foreign Wars.
- anchorscholarship.com: Anchor Scholarships Foundation.
Additional Scholarship Resources
- bigfuture.collegeboard.org: College board scholarship search
- collegenet.com: College Net Scholarship database.
- nationalmerit.org: National Merit Scholarships.
- petersons.com: Peterson’s Undergraduate Scholarship Search.
- princetonreview.com: Princeton Review Scholarships and Aid.
An additional list of scholarship opportunities is available to download from the box at the right.